Is the ‘Make In India’ logo inspired by a Swiss Bank’s ad campaign?

The Make In India logo of a lion may have been inspired by a Zurich bank’s promotional campaign.

According to a newsminute.com report, a journalist on a trip to Zurich spotted a similar lion’s logo on a train there.

According to the report, the design of a lion with industrial wheels behind it, belonged to a sponsored campaign of the Cantonal Bank of Zurich in Switzerland.

The lion for the bank was reportedly designed by a Swiss designer Nadine Geissbülher and was launched in July 2013. Our Make In India logo was unveiled in September 2014.

The Make In India lion logo was ideated by the Indian subsidiary of the American agency Wieden + Kennedy (W+K). W+K boasts of Nike, Coca-Cola, Facebook, P&G as its clientele.

Previously, an elephant was decided to be on the logo of Make In India. Later, including the Prime Minister, everybody wanted tiger on the logo until it was discarded for being too cliched.

W+K reportedly came up with the idea of a silhouette lion with industrial wheels on it as it also represents Emperor Ashok.

It was later presented on the ‘Make In India’ tableau on January 26 in the Republic Day parade, which was attended by US President Barack Obama.

#ZVV25 Wir gratulieren & schenken allen in der Nacht vom 30. auf 31.5. den Nachtzuschlag! http://t.co/UIIfhw8eYqpic.twitter.com/eUzW0rNIrc

— Zürcher Kantonalbank (@zkb_ch) May 27, 2015

ASUS launches ZenPad 8.0, ZenFone Selfie and Zen AiO series at Computex 2015

  • dnaTechLaunch- Computex 2015- Taipei- ASUS- ASUS ZenFone Selfie- ASUS ZenPad- ASUS Zen AiOImage Courtesy: Asus

ASUS Chairman Jonney Shih went on stage at Computex2015 in Taipei yesterday to unveil a range of new products, including the ZenFone Selfie, ZenPad 8.0, ZenPad S 8.0, Zen AiO Series of all-in-one PCs, and , for digital artists and photographers, the ASUS ProArt PA329Q, a 32-inch 4K/UHD (ultra-high-definition) monitor.

The ZenPad is available in three sizes — the 7-inch ZenPad 7.0 (Z370C/CG/CL), the 8-inch ZenPad 8.0 (Z380C/KL) and ZenPad S 8.0 (Z580C/CA) with optional Z Stylus, and the 10-inch ZenPad 10.1 (Z300C/CG/CL) with an optional keyboard — and offering models with Wi-Fi, LTE/3G connectivity and phone functionality. The ZenPad S 8.0 features an 8″ 2048x1536p IPS display with 324PPI and TruVivid technology to eliminate the airgap between touchscreen and LCD. It is powered by a 64-bit Intel Atom Z3580 processor and is the world’s first 8-inch tablet with 4GB RAM. It also has an optional stylus, hence the ‘S’ in its name. The ZenPad 8.0 meanwhile, has an Intel x3-C3200 processor and an “Audio cover” option to add six speakers for 5.1 digital surround sound. Bot tablets are available in 4G and WiFi-only version.


The ZenFone Selfie features a 13MP PixelMaster front and rear cameras with dual-color, dual LED Real Tone flash, and a 5.5-inch screen with 1920x1080p display and 403ppi. The ZenFone Selfie features the octa-core, 64-bit Qualcomm Snapdragon 615. with 2GB and 4GB RAM variants, and 16/32GB internal storage, expandable up to 64GB.

India Met says deficient rainfall more likely; puts focus back on food inflation

  • Raghuram Rajan, Governor, RBI AFP photo

India Meteorological Department (IMD) has revised its prediction for the monsoons for this year. Science and Technology Minister Harsh Vardhan said that IMD has revised its rainfall prediction from 93% to 88%.

This means that the prediction has been revised from “below normal” to “deficient.”

In April, the Met department announced its first monsoon prediction for the year and it said that “below normal” rainfall is likely for the current year. It had also said that El Nino conditions are likely to persist during monsoon season.

IMD had said that there were 35% chances that rainfall will be below normal this year while 28% chances of a normal monsoon. 33% chances, IMD predicted, were for deficient monsoon.

However, on June 2, IMD revised its prediction from 93% to 88% and said that chances of a “deficient” monsoons are now higher than “below normal” rainfall.

90-96% of rainfall is classified as “below normal.”

This also casts a shadow on India’s growth story.

Raghuram Rajan, governor Reserve Bank of India (RBI), while announcing a 25 basis points reduction in key repo rate also focussed on monsoons.

He said that IMD has predicted a below normal monsoon and astute food management is required to lower chances of inflationary effects arising out of it.

Rajan said, “Assuming reasonable food management, inflation is expected to be pulled down by base effects till August but to start rising thereafter to about 6.0% by January 2016 – slightly higher than the projections in April.

RBI move consistent with positive trends in economy: CEA Subramanian

  • CEA Arvind Subramanian Getty Images

Welcoming rate cut by RBI, the government today said a recovering economy needs policy support and the third reduction in interest rates this year was consistent with trend in economy including strongly declining inflation.

Chief Economic Advisor Arvind Subramanian played down inflation worries arising out of below normal monsoon rains saying the government will act to contain price rise risks.

“These cuts are consistent with the trends in the economy including strongly declining inflation, contained current account deficit and ongoing strong fiscal discipline,” he told reporters here.

Yielding to demands from Finance Minister Arun Jaitley and industry, Reserve Bank Governor Raghuram Rajan cut repo rate (short-term lending rate) to 7.25% from 7.5%, a move that is likely to result in lower borrowing cost for individuals and corporates.

Subramanian said, “The government and RBI agree that these cuts signify that the economy needs policy support as economic growth is recovering while the external environment remains weak.”

Both the institutions, he said, “will work together to ensure that the macroeconomic remains strong while investment and growth are accelerated towards their potential.” Asked about banks passing on the reduction in rates to borrowers, he said: “We have to wait and watch on transmission to cut in lending rates.”

Playing down the impact of below normal monsoon on prices, Subramanian said the government through its policy managed to contain inflation last year when rainfall was not very good.

“Last year as well the monsoon was not very good and through government policy we managed to contain inflation and we intend to do that this time around should the monsoon be as bad as some people fear.

Barcelona’s Ivan Rakitic’s eye now on Champions League final

Madrid: Midfielder Ivan Rakitic says Barcelona are now thinking about just one thing: Adding the Champions League crown to the King’s Cup and La Liga titles they have already won this season.

Saturday night saw Barcelona claim a domestic double as they defeated Athletic Club Bilbao in the Cup final. But Rakitic, who last season joined Barca from Sevilla, on Monday said he and his team-mates had rapidly switched focus to Saturday’s European final against Juventus, reports Xinhua.

“We have only got one thing on our minds and that’s winning the Champions League final against Juventus in Berlin on Saturday,” he assured, insisting any celebrations would have to wait until that game was over.

“We can let our emotions run wild if we get our hands on the trophy, but there’s a match to play first,” he said, looking back on a campaign which saw Barcelona look unconvincing at the start of the season, but improve drastically after the New Year.

“The season is long and ups-and-downs are to be expected. It’s been important to keep our composure and our self-belief, and it’s no coincidence that we’ve found our best form late in the season,” commented Rakitic.

Meanwhile Juventus’ Spanish striker Alvaro Morata spoke on Spanish radio to say he was hoping to win the title to give some consolation to Real Madrid fans.

It’s been a disastrous season for Real Madrid, who were knocked out of the Champions League thanks to two goals from their former striker. But despite being key to Real’s disappointment, Morata remains a Madrid fan at heart and knows his former supporters will be backing Juventus.

“It’s logical, we’re playing against Barcelona. I want to win for our fans and also for what it would mean for Real Madrid fans too,” he said, although he admits that it will be hard to beat an in-form Barcelona.

“We’re facing one of the best sides in the world, but we’re keen to prove how good we are,” insisted Morata.

Champions League final is a special game: Lionel Messi

Barcelona: Barcelona Argentine star Leo Messi underlined that his team-mates “have suffered a lot” to finally reach to the UEFA Champions League final against Juventus in Berlin, and so he is thinking only about this clash.

“It is a Champions League final and we have suffered a lot to get here. We know that it won’t be easy to be champions again,” Messi told UEFA’s media service.

“The anthem lets you know that it is a different game, a special game for the competition,” the four-time FIFA Ballon d’Or winner added, Efe news agency reported.

“We are playing against a very difficult and powerful opponent. It is a final where anything can happen, but we will prepare in the same way we did for the previous finals,” Messi said.

Messi recalled his two goals scored in the two finals of the Champions League against Manchester United in Rome (2009) and London (2011), which were decisive in the team’s victory.

“They are very significant parts of my career. The first one because we practically finished the game and were lifting the cup at 2-0. The second one because it made it 2-1 at a point where the game was well-balanced and that is why I celebrated so wildly,” he explained.

The Argentine star promised that Barca would prepare to their best capability for the final, as usual.

Pele backs Sepp Blatter amid FIFA corruption probe

Havana: Pele has lent his support to re-elected FIFA president Sepp Blatter amid a corruption scandal engulfing world football’s governing body.

Blatter won a fifth straight four-year term in charge of FIFA during a vote in Zurich last Friday.

The result came two days after seven FIFA officials were arrested on corruption charges as part of a US prosecution that named 14 people.

Blatter was not among those indicted but has faced calls to resign.

“I was in favour [of his re-election]. It was necessary because it is better to have people with experience,” Xinhua quoted Pele as saying on Monday.

“He’s a man who has been there for 25 years [with FIFA], you have to respect him, it was an election,” he added.

Pele is in Havana to watch his former club New York Cosmos play the Cuban national team at the Pedro Marrero stadium on Tuesday.

The fixture marks the first time a US professional sports team have visited Cuba since 1999.

FIFA scandal deepens as Sepp Blatter aide linked to payments

US prosecutors believe FIFA President Sepp Blatter’s top lieutenant made $10 million in bank transactions that are central to the bribery investigation of the world soccer body, a source familiar with the matter said on Monday.

Jerome Valcke, FIFA’s secretary general, is described in an indictment filed in federal court in Brooklyn, New York, as an unidentified “high-ranking FIFA official” who in 2008 transferred the sum to another FIFA official, Jack Warner.

Valcke is not named as a defendant and has not been accused of any wrongdoing. He was not immediately available for comment.

A spokeswoman for FIFA said the $10 million in bank transactions were authorized by the then-FIFA Finance Committee chairman. The Finance Committee chairman was Julio Grondona, who died last year.

Valcke and Blatter are the top two officials within FIFA.

Valcke’s connection to the case was first reported by The New York Times. The Times said Valcke had written in an email to the newspaper that he neither had authorized the payment nor had the power to do so.

As new questions arose in the FIFA scandal, more officials were arrested, suspended or banned on Monday, and countries were weighing a World Cup boycott amid controversy over the re-election of Blatter as FIFA president on Friday.

As news broke of Valcke’s alleged connection to the case, FIFA announced that Valcke would not attend the opening of the FIFA Women’s World Cup Canada 2015 due to begin on Saturday as previously scheduled.

“It is important that he attends to matters at FIFA’s headquarters in Zurich,” FIFA said in a statement.

‘WHY ARE THERE NO INVESTIGATIONS INTO SEPP BLATTER?’

Warner, a former FIFA vice president, is among 14 FIFA officials and corporate executives charged by the U.S. Department of Justice last Wednesday with running a criminal enterprise that involved more than $150 million in bribes.

Warner left jail in Trinidad and Tobago on Thursday after he was granted bail, according to local media.

“Why are there no investigations in Asia, or in Europe?” Warner asked German magazine Stern in an interview released on Monday.

“Why are there no investigations into Sepp Blatter? No other person has brought so much shame and disgrace on FIFA.”

A court transcript released on Monday said that Warner’s son, Daryan Warner, secretly agreed in 2013 to cooperate with U.S. authorities and to admit to participating in a World Cup ticket-reselling scheme.

Like his brother Daryll, Daryan had agreed to assist U.S. authorities as part of separate plea deals.

The transcript, ordered released by a federal judge in Brooklyn, New York, contained Daryan Warner’s guilty plea.

The $10 million payment is a key feature of the indictment accusing Jack Warner of taking a bribe in exchange for helping South Africa secure the right to host the 2010 World Cup.

The indictment said an arrangement had been made with FIFA officials to have $10 million that otherwise would have gone to South Africa to support the World Cup to the Caribbean Football Union, where Warner was president.

The indictment said that the high-ranking FIFA official identified on Monday as Valcke caused $10 million to be wired to accounts controlled by Warner, who subsequently diverted portions of the money for his personal use and to personal accounts, the indictment said.

SUSPENSION AND BANS

In Zurich, Enrique Sanz, the general secretary of CONCACAF (the Confederation of North, Central America and the Caribbean Association Football), was suspended and Congolese Football Association (FECAFOOT) officials Jean Guy Blaise Mayolas and Badji Mombo Wantete were provisionally banned by FIFA’s ethics committee.

In Paraguay, a judge on Monday ordered house arrest for the former president of South America’s soccer federation, Nicolas Leoz, accused of involvement in the scandal.

England called for a boycott but a senior UEFA official cast doubt on an outright move, while Sweden’s soccer authorities have not ruled out the possibility of a boycott, Swedish FA chairman Karl-Erik Nilsson told Reuters.

Following Blatter’s re-election as FIFA president, the English Football Association’s chairman Greg Dyke said his organisation would support any boycott led by UEFA, the Union of European Football Associations.

English Football Association board member Heather Rabbatts said she was withdrawing from FIFA’s task force against racism and discrimination with immediate effect.

“Like many in the game, I find it unacceptable that so little has been done to reform FIFA,” Rabbatts said in a statement.

G-7 summit nears, but German hosts have other worries

German-Russian Forum President Matthias Platzeck also believes that it is time to allow Mr. Putin attend the summit, saying that Russia’s assistance in dealing with matters of international stability and security was invaluable. “The process of disintegration in the Middle East, in Iran, Afghanistan and Syria can only be solved with Russia,” he told Die Welt.

German public opinion is also split on how to deal with Russia. According to May 2015 Pew polling on U.S.-German relations, while a majority of Germans (57 percent) would prefer closer ties with the United States over Russia, 15 percent said they would prefer closer ties with Russia, a difference still largely defined by the country’s former East-West split. The same polling revealed that East Germans were nearly twice as likely as West Germans to believe that the European Union’s approach to reprimanding Russia for the annexation of Crimea is “too tough.”

Also of pressing interest to Ms. Merkel and the other European leaders at the summit is the ongoing financial crisis in Greece, which, after years of austerity measures and the election of a new far-left government, is still struggling to find a way to repay its massive debts.

Currently at a meeting of finance ministers and central bank directors from around the globe in Dresden Germany, the issue of Greek debt is once again dominating talks. Athens has been working with creditors such as France and Germany to strike a deal before its massive payments to the International Monetary Fund are due.

U.S. officials have been unusually outspoken in urging Greece and its creditors to reach a compromise and avoid a default or the exit of Greece from the bloc of countries that use the euro. Ms. Merkel is widely seen as taking a tough line that Athens must pay its debts and not be given extensive relief.

Even though most of its debt isn’t currently held in commercial banks, a bankrupt Athens could create problems for the global economy, said U.S. Treasury Secretary Jack Lew. “There is great uncertainty in there at a time when the world needs greater stability and certainty,” Mr. Lew told reporters.

While he said that a deal was possible by the end of the week, German EU Commissioner Guenter Oettinger cautioned that “Greece’s challenges are too big to be solved ‘en passant.’”

The G-7 summit will take place at Schloss Elmau, an alpine resort in Bavaria, just 60 miles south of Munich, where protests against the summit are already happening. German press outlets are reporting that groups opposed to the summit are already demonstrating on Munich’s Marienplatz. A large concert urging the summit to address global poverty is scheduled for this Saturday on the Koenigsplatz in the same city.

Joe Lieberman, Evan Bayh see Iran deal ‘disaster’ looming

Members of the Iran task force, a committee of former government officials and nuclear specialists that helps advise Congress, warned that the nuclear deal President Obama hopes to nail down this summer will bolster Tehran’s influence in the Middle East.

“On every level, this is a disaster,” former Sen. Joe Lieberman said in a briefing Monday. “What we seem to be talking about now is a serial suspension of most of the economic sanctions in return for not the elimination or end of the Iranian nuclear weapons program, but a kind of dialing-down temporarily.”

Former Sen. Evan Bayh seconded the analysis of the Connecticut Democrat turned independent, but also acknowledged that the situation is challenging for the negotiating parties.

“One of the reasons it’s so difficult is because you’ve got to deal with the essential nature of the Iranian regime,” the Indiana Democrat said. “Are they willing to essentially change themselves? You have to be a little skeptical about that.”

Mr. Bayh said there just may not be an alternative to the deal on the table, which would lift Iranian economic sanctions in exchange for an essential freeze of Iran’s military nuclear programs for the next decade.

“You do encounter situations in life where there just are not great alternatives. This may be one of them,” Mr. Bayh said.

But, he added, “I think the status quo is better than a bad deal.”